Friday, October 30, 2009

Box

Today I had a 2 hour, solo drive time with Mr. Maki. Mr. Maki has lived in Holden his whole life, and he has been working for the Safety Council long enough to have taught 9,000 drive times. He doesn't go to movies, refuses to fly in a plane post-911, and eats at McDonalds 5 days a week. He doesn't know what a burrito is, and doesn't care to try one because he likes the food he likes, and thats all he needs.

In this life, I know very little of what I want for myself. The little that I do know seems to drift in and out of certainly everyday. But after hearing this, I can surely confirm that Mr. Maki's lifestyle is the epitome oh what not to do, for me at least. The only redeeming part of it all, that whisked me out of utter pitty and depression, is that Mr. Maki loves his life. It is simple, and that is plenty enough for him. He truly believes that if he is happy, what need is there to step outside such a confined box?

Note to anyone who is going to play any role in my future: Please please please, always urge me to be released from that confined box. I'm not fond of small spaces.

2 comments:

Followers